We are really LOVING our new house. It is taking a little while to get everything settled, but this house fits our needs and lifestyle so much better. We have never lived in a “new construction” house and I must say I REALLY, REALLY like it. Well, except for one thing…every house has a design flaw, something that you just have to wonder “what was this builder thinking”. Well here is my dilemma…
Yes, this HUGE air return in in the middle of our living room/dining /kitchen area. Seriously, there was not a better place for this to go??? And YES, we did notice it when we first looked at the house and took it into consideration, but bought the house anyway and thought we could come up with something for it. We had the walls painted and now it is more noticeable. I wanted to paint it the same color as the walls, but I got out-voted. It is really starting to bother me and I need to do something to camo it. It is in high traffic area, so a big plant or something that sticks out will not work. It needs to be something flat. One option is to use it for all Colton’s magnetic toys…
Joking…of course. That really does the opposite of camouflage. But really, I need some ideas. Please discuss and get back with me. I know you care!




5 comments:
Love the new kitchen! And yes, why are there always little things in houses that make you go, "What???"
I would have voted with you in painting the a/c vent. Or place a picture over it?????
We have 2 minor things in our house that I DO NOT know what the lady of the house was thinking when she/they built this house: NO GARBAGE DISPOSAL?????? And a 10 -15 foot dryer vent...that makes me have to run our dryer at least 4 times to get the clothes dry. So, this week Danny is ripping out the wall and reinstalling the Washer/Dryer a bit closer to the end of the vent. Why it wasn't done this way in the first place is BEYOND us!
Good luck!
I can't wait to see the rest of your house! I would have said painting it the same color and/or placing something over it. I had a similar problem and I just placed a frame over it and turned the wall into a picture collage.
Seriously, you're not alone in the "what where you thinking?!" when building the house...I think the same about my place. The carpet, the ugly fencing, the everything!! HAHA, good thing this is just an apartment.
hey so love the new kitchen and love your blog, i am new and loving all your ideas! but the air return would be a great place for a magnetic calendar or make it as a dry erase board. just throwing it out there...
Could you possibly paint the top with chalkboard paint? It would be a great message center.
I love your blog. Stop by The Hillbilly Chicks and enter my latest giveaway...Our Best Bites cookbook!
Sheesh...what were they thinking??
I think you need to cover the whole thing up, but the air still needs to circulate.
So I would pick out some cute fabric (air will still be able to move through the fabric). Make a frame the size of that vent thing and stretch the fabric over the frame and make a message board out of it. Something like this: http://www.lovedogranch.com/2010/07/not-tutorial-fabric-message-board.html
But yours would be cuter, of course!
Just an idea!
Post a Comment