Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You’ve Got Mail–Valentines Mailbox

I realized I am really lacking in decorations for Valentines Day.  I think it is because I have a house full of boys and Valentines decorations just don’t lend themselves to a masculine look.  I put together this mailbox idea and it was REALLY cheap (like $3 each) and easy.

P1070127

First I found these cute little mailboxes in the Dollar Spot at Target.  They have them in different colors, but I went for all red for the boys.P1070056

The mailboxes were cute on their own, but I just felt like they needed to be taller or sitting up on something like a real mailbox would be.  So, I pulled out some wooden candle sticks I happened to have left over from a Christmas project.  They sell these everywhere.  Or you could even use the glass ones from the Dollar stores…oooh…that would be cute!P1070059

 

 

P1070070

Get some Gorilla glue (or any other glue that will hold wood and metal).  I painted my candlestick white, distressed it with some stain and then glued my mailbox on the candlestick.  Be sure to follow the instructions on the glue bottle.  My glue had some specific steps to ensure a good hold.

P1070072

I tried ALL KINDS of ribbon and decoration ideas…

P1070120P1070135

The green and blue was cute, but did not look too Valentiney…is that a word?  Well, for me it is word.  The pink was really cute.  I love pink and red together.  But the boys would not have been happy with that.  I saw some little mailboxes on different blogs where people decorated them with scrapbook papers and all kinds of embellishments…the possibilities are ENDLESS!  But I settled on a simple black and pink dot ribbon tied on the candle stick.

P1070127

So each person in the family has their own mailbox all lined up and ready.

P1070150

  When you have mail the little flag is raised.  Sometimes you might get a simple little note.

P1070090

Or maybe a little toy… or some CANDY!!!!

car

I printed out a little sign that has the look of a postage stamp or piece of mail using my Silhouette.  I Red heartthat machine!

P1070153

And this little canvas did not turn out how I pictured in my mind…at all! :(  The spacing is all off and I put the vinyl on crooked.  I hate it when that happens.  It will do for now…but I see a remake in the near future.

P1070151

Put it all together…

P1070159

P1070160

4 comments:

Dolly said...

OKay, this is TOO CUTE! I love all the things you make Nikki. Thing is, if I tried to make this, I wouldn't turn out nearly as cute. I love your signs too!

Momofgirls said...

Precious! Keep the ideas coming!!

*have I told yo how happy that I am to have you "back"????

I also saw your parents' Christmas card...WHAT a GREAT picture!! What a beautiful family!

(ugh, I wish a certain girl would "meet" a certain boy that is in that photo...)

Denise said...

Cute Nikki! Also, Love the cool blue background in the first few pictures! It looks like you had a professional photographer there shooting those pic's for a magazine! Cool!

Julie said...

I love this idea! Thanks for the inspiration. I find most V-day decor in the stores not to my liking but I love this idea :)