Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pregnancy Can Be Weird

...randomness that might not interest you...
I don't really remember having any weird pregnancy symptoms or cravings when I was pregnant with Adam. Maybe I did have them, but it has just been so long ago I have forgotten. But this pregnancy has been so different and it seems I keep having these weird symptoms and cravings that I don't even realize are related to the pregnancy till I google them and find out they are quite common.
For example...A few weeks ago my teeth had become so sensitive. It wasn't just one tooth but every tooth in my head and especially my 2 front teeth. They felt like they were made of glass and were shattering. It got so bad that if I even opened my mouth to breath in air, the air hitting my teeth would be so painful and would make my teeth feel like they were falling out or breaking. CRAZY, I know! I was in so much pain and was ready to call the dentist because I thought something was seriously wrong. Then Mark came in and said he had googled it and found out that it was a pregnancy symptom. Who Knew?! Once I started drinking more milk, the problem went away.
I am not a big candy or chocolate person in my normal life, but the pregnancy has turned that around. I cant get enough chocolate and sweets. It is out of control, but I just crave it all the time. It is also not helping with the weight gain situation. Wonderful! And, my latest pregnancy craving and must have is...

Thats right. Ice! I am obsessed with crunching on ice. There is nothing more annoying than listening to someone chew or crunch on something, especially ice. And I know it must be annoying to the people around me, but I cant help it. I could crunch on ice all day. I was at work on Monday just crunching away all day and then realized that the poor girls in the cubicles next to me probably wanted to strangle me. Sorry Sally, Heather & Christa! :) I cant help it.

I have even narrowed it down to my favorite ice to crunch. SONIC! They have the best ice. It is the little crushed pellet ice. Perfect! I order a limeade, but I don't even care about the flavor...I really just want the ice. Do you think they would charge me for just a cup of ice? I might try that next time to avoid paying for a drink I don't want, just so I can get the ice.

*Update*

I just found this article about other people that like to crunch on sonic ice. It seems it is so popular they sell it by the bag! Oh my! You know where I will be tomorrow.

You will also notice in my comments that "Nurse Betty" has advised me that chewing ice could be a sign of anemia. I googled it and it seems to be true. Hmmm. Better check on that.

Photobucket

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Nurse Betty here...ice cravings can sometime indicate a bit of anemia...I'm probably just being a big pain in the behind, but make sure you're getting in some iron-rich foods (beef, other good proteins, beans, apricots, etc).

But what do I know? I still have 3 semesters to go...I'll probably learn next semester to tell expecting moms to go buy an entire bag of ice @ the gas station and munch all day. Tee hee...

Hope to see you soon!
Liz

Donna said...

Haha! It's funny how you forget things in the next pregnancy. I assume you have What to Expect When You're Expecting. They have all the symptoms in there. I didn't have the sensitive teeth thing but my gums would bleed badly when I brushed my teeth. It was gross.

Yes, next time you go to Sonic, just order the ice and see what they do!!

Donna said...

Oh, and I'm laughing at Nurse Betty! She is one serious nursing student!!! Elizabeth, you'll be a great nurse:)

Nikki said...

Nurse Betty! I am laughing so hard right now. You crack me up. But you are probably right. I am sure I probably am a little anemic because I forget to take my prenatal vitamins every night. I will get on that!

And Donna, yes I do have the What to Expect book, but never read it or refer to it. Dont know why? I always forget about it. i do see Mark reading it from time to time. :) He knows more about what is going on than I do. He is my second Nurse Betty.

Dolly said...

That's sweet that Mark reads that book. I read that book every month and now I'm on to "What to Expect the first year". Love these books.

I had sensitive teeth too now that I think about it. I didn't realize that was a symptom. There are so many funny things about pregnancy. It's funny what your body craves. Ice is good but I agree, it's the most annoying sound EVER!

Unknown said...

Nikki! Rabbit ice (that's what I call it cuz it's like rabbit pellets) is THE BOMB DOT COM. I could live off it!Bag of ice @ Sonic...have bought it. That's one thing that probably won't go away after being prego. At least it's not as loud as big ole cubes.

Denise said...

You are so funny Nikki! Cravings can be embarrassing. Your's are mild compared the things I craved. And its funny, Why is Sonic always in the pregnant lady's life?????

Laughing at nurse betty!

Jennifer said...

NIKKI...I am DYING reading this! Guess what I ordered at Sonic yesterday? A large cup of just ice! I'm not lying! I've been eating their cherry slushies but I would pour most of the juice out and just eat the slush part. But recently my ice craving has become worse, so embarrassing as it was, I orderd a large cup of just ice...and it was SO GOOD! Now, I don't even know if they charged me because I got Max two things and I didn't even look at the receipt. But, I am so there today getting a bag of ice...who knew??? Oh, I did get a little excited yesterday about being in the hospital soon...all the crushed ice you could ever dream of!

This is hilarious...we're Sonic ice sistas! :) But, you know what, I bet that is true about being anemic because I haven't been eating hardly any meat lately. Pregnancy IS weird!

Leah said...

What a sweet Mother's Day gift from Adam! :)

Those cupcakes looks so yummy.

As far as the ice, I never had those kinds of cravings....I'm not into crushed ice - maybe since it's the only thing they let you have while your in labor! :)

Jen said...

That's funny my neighbor and best friend crave ice also. They both had to buy huge bags so they had it and it was gone in about a day. We read that it can be due to anemia.

Jen said...

I obviously didn't see the part about anemia....I must have skipped right over that...you already knew!