I had bookmarked this idea from Disney Family last year and I knew it would be on my to do list for this Christmas. I used some leftover canvas curtains I purchased at Ikea to make the bags, but drop cloths from the hardware store would be super cheap too.
…Disclaimer…
I am NOT a seamstress. I can sew a straight line and that is about it and sometimes I don’t even do that very well. So these instructions a BASIC. If you are a seamstress or sew well, you might want to look away.
1. Cut 2 identical rectangles and turn right sides together. I made all different sizes ranging from a lunch bag size to pillowcase size so I could accommodate different size gifts. Sew the fabric on 3 sides. Leaving one of the shorter sides open.
2. Turn down a hem on the side you did not sew…press and stitch down. You should basically have what looks like a pillowcase.
3. You can stop at step 2 if you want, your bag will be fine. But, I decided to do one more step to make my bags more like gift bags with a flat bottom. Press the side bottom seam to the center bottom of the bag. You should have 2 triangle bottoms.
4. Stitch a straight line a few inches up from the tip of the triangle.
5. Trim off excess and press seams.
7. Iron on Heat & Bond to your fabric and then cut out some letters for each persons initials. I used my Cameo to cut out the letters. But you could just as easily trace letters onto the fabric and cut them out.
8. Press applique letters on each bag.
9. Depending on what type of heat & bond you use, you may need to stitch over the fabric…I did not do this step because the letters felt like they were stuck pretty well and I don’t plan on washing these bags.
10. Reusable Christmas Bags DONE! Just inset gift and tie with a cute ribbon.
I even made one for the dog…
So excited to have these bags as our new family tradition and it makes gift wrapping SO EASY!





1 comment:
Cute Nikki! Great idea!
Post a Comment