Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My first Meal Swap

Don’t worry…I am not going to act like I invented meal swapping.  I know it has been around for years and everyone is doing it.  But this is my first time…and I love it already!

I did this with my 2 sisters, mom & cuz Liz.  We set some general guidelines and everyone made 2 different recipes for each person in the group (so 8 meals total).  The best part was you could buy your ingredients in bulk, which makes it super cheap.

P1080789

I may or may not have made a complete disaster in the process of preparing all my meals…

P1080790

I may or may not have completely mis calculated how much food I was making and began getting nervous that all this headache was not going to be worth it in the end…P1080791

Then I got back on track and started seeing some progress…ahhhhh!

P1080794P1080796

FYI – if you do meal swaps or just make freezer meals for yourself, they sell these containers at Dollar Tree in packs of 3.  This made the meal packaging so much easier and cheaper.P1080817

I made Million Dollar Spaghetti & Penne with Chicken & Sundried Tomatoes and I added a little extra side dish of Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole

P1080800

Because of my calculating and recipe doubling errors, I ended up with a few extra meals to keep for myself!  A little more work for me, but BONUS!  I now have 12 meals & 4 side items in my freezer and all it took was one afternoon of blood, sweat & tears.  But worth it.

We swapped all the meals this morning and my freezer meals now include:

BBQ Chicken Pizza, Chili, Jim’s Famous Spaghetti Sauce, Chicken Divan, Chicken Cordon Blue, Brown Sugar Meatloaf, Aussie Chicken & Cheeseburger Casserole

Cant wait till swap next month!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Way to go! I do meal swaps here once in a while and they are a lot of work at once, but after I get my freezer full, I'm so glad I did!