Our new house is a little bigger than the old one and it seems to have a lot more wall space to fill. My walls were looking a little bare, so I went to work on some inexpensive artwork.
First off, I found these GREAT wood canvas at Michaels. They are just like regular art canvas, but are a lightweight wood, which is much easier to work with for crafty/art projects because of the smooth finish. They come already primed in white…which I love because it saves me a step. You can get them in natural wood too.
I cut out the vinyl words I wanted using my trusty Silhouette. If you don’t have one, you could use alphabet stickers or there are lots of places to buy vinyl words online. I had to cut out my design in several pieces to get it to fit the canvas size.
Put the transfer tape over the design
Transfer the vinyl to the board and remove the tape so that only the vinyl letters remain on the board.
I used my little tool to make sure all the letters were stuck down really well.
This was not my intended stopping point, but I liked how it looked so much at this point. So you could actually stop here. I debated on this for a while, but the vinyl colors I had used did not match where I would be putting this canvas, so I moved on the original plan and next steps.
Take the canvas outside and paint it. I used a satin black sprat paint. Can I just stop here and say that I am pretty sure my new neighbors call me the “crazy spray paint lady”. I am literally outsides EVERYDAY spray paining something.
Let the paint dry and then peel off all the letters. I definitely needed a razor blade to help me a little bit with this process.
I did the same process for the boys bathroom. But added another step by sanding down the whole thing and rubbing some stain over it to give it an older/vintage look. The teal “&” symbol is just vinyl that I added as the last step after sanding and staining. If you have boys, you know it is important to remind them to FLUSH! Got the original idea from HERE.
And this one is my FAVORITE. The pictures are not showing up well…it is easier to read in person. I used a scrap piece of plywood that I stole from my moms house so this one was REALLY CHEAP! Again, same process with some sanding, distressing and stain to make it look vintage. This one hangs in the guest bathroom and makes me smile.
I love the font on this one. It reminds me of a old circus sign. (font is actually a free one called CIRCUS from dafont)




No comments:
Post a Comment