Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One Wreath For Every Holiday (A wreath with accessories)

Picnik collage

Picnik collage 1

I have been loving all the yarn wreaths I have been seeing all over the place.  I wanted to make one, but could not decide which holiday I wanted it to be for.  Then I thought about doing one base wreath frame and just making separate attachments for each holiday…Voila!

I started by collecting all my scrap fabrics, buttons, ribbon and bought some felt squares in every color available (that stuff is cheap)  Then I bought some jute rope instead of yarn because I thought it would hold up better if I was going to use it year round and I wanted a good neutral color.

P1070340P1070347

I WRAPPED and WRAPPED and WRAPPED the jute around a Styrofoam wreath until I thought I would lose my mind and then just as I was about to finish…I RAN OUT OF ROPE!  Ughhhh!  Side note – buy 2 rolls of jute if you plan to make these.  So after a quick trip back to the store I finally completed the base of the wreath.

P1070355P1070397

I gathered all my fabric, ribbon and buttons and researched the following sites for different options on making flowers.

HEREHEREHERE

I went to work making every kind of flower you can imagine and separated them into categories by color and holiday.  Below is the assortment for the “Easter/Spring” version.  I placed the rosettes/flowers on a piece of felt in a curved shape and hot glued them all down. Then I cut all the excess felt away from the back which resulted in the one piece unit you will see below.  Hope all that makes sense???

P1070437P1070438

I used some straight pins to attach the felt piece to the wreath base.  I use about 4 or 5 pins for each piece and it holds very securely.  This allows you to also remove it quickly and easily to change out for each season or holiday.P1070469

P1070433

Here is the finished Easter/Spring option…

P1070434

St. Patrick’s Day

(not usually a holiday I decorate for, but had some green stuff laying around and went for it.)

P1070441P1070445

Valentines Day

P1070446P1070448

Halloween

(still working on this and need to add a little more and picture it hanging with a orange ribbon)

P1070452P1070453

4th of July

P1070455P1070458

Summer

P1070462P1070463

OK, after looking at some of these pictures I already see some things I need to adjust and add to some of these but for now I put all the extra pieces in a box so they will be nice and safe while waiting for their holiday to come along.  I still need to do one for November & December, but that can wait for a while.

P1070460

Just to keep it real…this was my living room floor as I was working on all this.  Do not click on this picture to enlarge it, there is no telling what you might find up close.

P1070449

And as if I had not completely lost my mind with the above wreath insanity…I was on a roll and decided to make a birthday wreath inspired by THIS and THIS.

P1070470

I was able to find all the supplies at Wal Mart  - balloons, floral pins and a straw wreath is all you need (except for the little frames, which are from the dollar section at Michaels)

P1070472

P1070479P1070480

LOVE LOVE LOVE this wreath and cant wait for the next family birthday so we can start the tradition of the birthday wreath with a picture of the special birthday person!  I think I did something wrong with mine and ended up needing a lot more balloons than specified, My version is very full and fat looking…oh well.  These would make GREAT birthday gifts for friends or sisters Winking smile!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Love the bday wreath! And your pictures are so good--just like in a magazine! Doin good Hogsed! Doin goooood!

jday said...

SO, SO, SO ADORABLE!!! Love them! It looks like waayyyy too much work though! You know I love the projects that are quick and simple! :)

Dolly said...

Very cute wreaths! I LOVE the birthday wreath and think yours looks better than the websites you listed. I may have to venture out and actually try this one.

Happy Four said...

WOW...you NEVER cease to amaze me. You have such talent Nikki.

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Woah!!! What a versatile wreath! It's so cute for every holiday! :)

PS: I'm doing my first ever giveaway on my blog and I'd love if you'd come enter! Check it out: http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html