Friday, December 12, 2008

Baby, Baking and an Ornament

Sorry it has been a while since my last post. I have been really tired and a little sick for the past few weeks...and also very busy trying to get everything ready for Christmas. i was not planning on making an official announcement for a while, but word got out and spread like wildfire. So...I will go ahead and confirm that YES, I am pregnant. We were shocked and surprised to say the least, but very excited about what a blessing this will be for our family.
_______________________________________________________________
So...on to other things. Our family made plans to go to my moms house to make Christmas cookies tonight with my sister Jenny and her family. Our kitchen is VERY small and old and not really ideal for baking. So whenever I have a cooking project, I head over to my moms DREAM KITCHEN and make a mess! Now let me tell you that I am no baker. I dont know the last time I baked something that wasn't in a Pillsbury can. Seriously, it has probably been since last Christmas. I know some of you out there are serious bakers and you are so good at it, but it is just not my thing. There is just no joy in it for me. I dont get it??? Well here is how things went...
This is Jenny and my mom working on our first batch of Tree cookies. These are a Brewer family tradition.
This is me in the beginning with the first batch...all smiles and somewhat enjoying things at this stage.
Our finished Trees. Not perfection, but they were good. After we finished the first batch I was over it and ready to quit...but we had alot more to do.

Then came the real challenge. Candy Cane cookies. We did something very wrong and we dont know what? But somehow they tripled in size during the baking process and distorted to a very large and puffy state. The picture does not do them justice. They were ridiculously large.
People, I tell you what. My hat is off to anyone who bakes..and enjoys doing it. I have the utmost respect for all of you out there (Elizabeth) who make those beautiful cookies and cakes.
I was exhausted when we were finished. Seriously exhausted as if I had run a marathon. And check out how filthy dirty my apron is! Embarrassing!
_______________________________________________________________

I have also been feeling very uninspired to do any crafty stuff lately. But I did make some of these monogrammed ornaments for Christmas gifts the other day and thought I would pass it along.
I bought these blank ornaments at Michaels. They were originally $2 each, but they are 50% off right now....so $1 each!!!!
Then I had these rub on letters. You can find lots of options for rub ons in the stickers aisle at Michaels or AC Moore. Make sure they are rub ons and not stickers.
Just cut out the letters you want to use and lay them on the ornament. I tape them down to hold them in place while I rub them on. Peel off the backing and then spray with a tiny bit of clear coat so the rub on doesnt come off. Add a bow and you are done.


Photobucket

15 comments:

jday said...

Yay!! The word it out into the blogisphere!! I'm thinking pink...

I love those ornaments!! Sadly, I have run out of time to start any new projects before Christmas! :( I haven't even started my shopping yet.

Those tree cookies look pretty yummy. I like to stick with the Pillsbury stuff too! I don't have the patience to stay in the kitchen that long.

Kristi Smalley said...

Love this idea, Keep them coming!

Kristi Smalley said...

I forgot to say, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! If I was pregnant and in the first trimester, I wouldn't want to be baking either. I am happy for you.

Happy Four said...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! I thought I wasn't reading correctly at first. It seems that the past few months you kept getting post comments that you should have another baby and now you announce you are expecting.

What joyous news. I am so thrilled for you and will be in prayer for you during the coming months. I know life is hectic with work and home and pray you will get your energy and feel great soon!

Leah said...

Congratulations! I heard you were pregnant, but didn't want to say anything until you mentioned it on your blog! When are you due?

Love the ornaments by the way.

Elizabeth said...

WOO HOO!! How exciting! I can't wait!!(How far along are we?) The candy cane cookies still look tasty...did you eat one? I love the trees! Also, I LOVE the ornaments. Do the rub ons come in that pretty scroll stuff too and not just letters? CUTE! pretty, actually.

the mccollums... said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Wow...I'm so happy for you, Mark and Adam!! :)

Momofgirls said...

Yeah! Nikki's back! CONGRATULATIONS!! I am thrilled for you! I just hope you start feeling better. There is nothing like the pregnancy quesies! Yuck!

The ornaments are so cute, keep sending your ideas along! I bet you made the cute aprons you all were sporting!

I will be praying that yucky feeling away!

Dayna said...

Congratulation! I am so happy for you. I heard the news too before this big announcement. Good news just keeps coming!

I agree with the baking. I don't like to bake much but would rather just cook a good meal. I try to do cookies for the kids during Christmas though. Don't worry...you make up for everything with your craftiness!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Nikki!!!!! I'm so excited for you. Yep, word was out in the Queen City but I promise I didn't tell anybody. :) How many blog babies does this make?!?!

I LOVE those ornaments. What a great idea! I may just need to go to Michael's tomorrow.

Dolly said...

Okay, I'm SO FREAKIN EXCITED that your prego!!!! I've been waiting and waiting to see if you were going to post about it and I even kept my mouth shut from telling Denise. I wanted her to find out from you! A little birdie told me last week and I was flipping out when I found out. I'm so happy for you Nikki and know that Mark and Adam are so excited too! I'm thinking PINK too Julie! There needs to be a little girl in the Brewer family with all those boys. But if you have another little boy it will be special too.

On to the baking...the pic of you in your apron cracks me up! I actually like baking but I have the staples and don't venture out to try creative and hard things. I'm a good chocolate chip cookie maker along with maybe 3 other things. That's it!
Now take it easy and prop those feet up! Oh, and eat up since the holidays are here. You have an excuse now! I'm off to send my sisters to your blog.

Donna said...

Nikki, word had spread down in the QUeen City and I was just waiting patiently to hear this announcement via the blogworld! HOW EXCITING!!!! This makes blog baby #5!!! I am with Julie and thinking pink, too. So give us details...what's the due date, how are you feeling, what's your gut feeling about the sex? I want DETAILS!!!!!! I bet Adam is excited, huh?! I am, too!!!!

The cookies look yummy. Sandra Lee on the Food Network made those candy cane cookies on her show the other day. I'm goign to give them a try this week. I am a weirdo who L-O-V-E-S to bake!!!

Jennifer said...

Nikki!!! Oh my gosh, congratulations! That is wonderful news and I'm thrilled for you guys. I also want to know the details...when you're due, where the baby was conceived...you know, important things like that.

And I will say that I'm very impressed that you were baking while experiencing some morning sickness...nothing stops you, does it? The cookies look yummy!

Congrats again!!!!

Denise said...

Where have I been that I am LATE to this post????? So sorry Nikki!


Yay, the I can finally talk openly about this!

Noel told my mother at the TRBC LCT (that was for you Dolly and Donna), and my mom called me ASAP!

SOOOOOO happy for you. SOOOO happy for Adam and Mark!!!!!

I am praying for a sweet little girl, a good preg, and delivery too. Just think positive!

What is the due date?

Anonymous said...

What?! Huh?! Pregnant??!! What the...??? Congratulations, you guys!!! We're stoked for you!!! Can't wait to torment this child, just like I do Adam!!