Monday, October 20, 2008

Candy Corn Soap

OK, soap making is not my typical kind of craft. It is a little "folksy" for me. Is that a word? You know what I mean...granola, hippy-dippy. It always seemed to be a lot of work to make something that I could buy at the grocery store, like a bar of SOAP. But I saw this project the other day and thought it was so cute. I had to give it a try. Honestly, it was TOO easy. Just melt the soap, color it and pour it. Trust me...very fun and easy!
Here is the block of soap and the beginning of the candy corn shape

All the candy corn pieces

All wrapped up...with a little spider.

Make sure to label it and mark with a "do not eat". It looks so real, people will definitely think it is candy.

I have no idea what I am going to do with all these. How ticked off would kids be if they came to my house on Halloween and I gave them this soap instead of candy. I am thinking a good class gift for Adam, but he already told me he is too embarrassed to take it to school. :(
A few hints in case you try this:
- the block of soap at Michaels is $10, so definitely save your coupon for that one. with the coupon, the total cost for this project was around $15. but you may already have some of the items.
- The instructions say a 3 lb block of soap. But it is only sold in 2 lb blocks. I just used the 2 lb block and as you can see it made more than enough. Just cut it into 3 equal parts, melt, color and pour. Follow her instructions for the layering. There are important details.
- I could not find the container she referred to. The closest I could find was at Bed Bath & Beyond. It was larger than she specified, but it worked fine.

13 comments:

Jenny Mather said...

So cute! I smell a teacher gift :)

Elizabeth said...

OH my goodness...you are TOO much with the good ideas. They are ADORABLE!! Can you save a baggie for me por favor? By the way, it's time for a Make it Take it for me...you guys going any time soon? I'll really come this time.

Nikki said...

I need to do Make and Take! I am going out of town this weekend, but can do it next week. I NEED FOOD!

Rachel said...

You are so crafty! I laughed out loud imagining kids coming up for candy and getting...soap!

Elizabeth said...

Hey, I could email you, but why when I can comment. Next week FOR SURE!!! I can do Mon/Wed/or Friday. On tues. thurs I could do afternoon/evenings. MAKE IT TAKE IT BABY! We've been eating lots of popcorn for dinner. just kidding. sort of.

Donna said...

Cute, Nikki! Defiitely a teacher's gift and if you really want to suck up, give it to the principal and school secretary, too. Bring some to your neighbors and pass them around World Help!

Jennifer said...

Absolutely adorable...you are one creative gal!!!

Happy Four said...

All I can say is another A plus to you for your talent. Everything you make is professional and worthy to be sold at a craft show.

Momofgirls said...

SUPER CUTE!! The girls and I will make these after we go see HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3!!!!!!!
Keep the cute ideas coming!! I have a cute one in the works that I will take pictures of and put on my blog....(another Etsy purchase)

Ypu and Julie Day should get an Etsy shop going!!!

Denise said...

Nikki!!!! What are we going to do with you? You come up with the NEATEST crafts! One day I will make all these cute things. Right now I have no time or energy!

Noel said...

These are adorable!!!! Set aside a few of these for me!!!! Once again - you get the crafty award!

The Goldsmith's Gazette said...

Hey Nikki, I must confess, I have been lurking your blog! I am not sure if you remember me, my maiden name is Sommer Forlano. I love checking out your blog for all your good ideas!

Dolly said...

Oh to be like Nikki Hogsed! You are so clever. One of these days I'm going to start trying all these things you make. Until then, I'll admire them. Very cute idea!