Saturday, September 27, 2008

Edible Crayons! What?

It was a rainy day today and to top it off Nickelodeon had "Worldwide Day of Play" where they turn off their regular programs to encourage kids to go outside and play. AAGHHH! Luckily I had planned on making these edible crayons with Adam anyway. THIS IS THE NEATEST IDEA! And Adam loved it. Check out all the details on how to make them HERE at the Gourmet Mom on the Go. She gives great instruction, and even includes the template to print off the wrappers. She has alot of other great ideas, so be sure to check her out.
You will need Pretzel Rods, White Chocolate Chips, Food Coloring, Colored Paper (not cardstock), and pencil boxes.

You basically melt the chocolate, color it, dip each end of the pretzel and let cool
My hints:
1. She recommends all sorts of chocolates and candies you can use, but I used the regular White Choc. Chips because they were easy to find. But you have to add a little vegetable oil in when you melt them, otherwise it will not melt smooth enough to dip. And you also have to use food coloring that is oil based. This was my big mistake. Next time I will use the Candy Melts.
2. I put my pretzels directly in the freezer to cool off. This helps them dry real quick.
All the pretzels are finished and ready for their wrappers. Make sure you use regular copy paper to print the wrappers. Cardstock is too thick to bend...I learned this the hard way.

Put them in the pencil box and you are done! How Cute!
We had alot of fun with this and Adam was so proud of himself. BTW - Adam thinks this is a great smile. We made the mistake a while back of telling him to show his teeth when he smiles because he would always smile with his mouth closed...and this is what we get now. His lips roll up and under and all you see is the top teeth. Even all of his school pictures have this same smile. Real Nice.

On a side note. Here I am with my new McCain/Palin shirt. I got it from ebay and LOVE it. I dont know what kind of pose I was going for here?

12 comments:

Happy Four said...

Oh my word...those edible crayons are so professional. You are AMAZING and look fab. in your pink T-shirt!

Thanks for recommending The Kite Runner. I am going to my online library catalog this evening and putting in on request :)

Elizabeth said...

What a flippin cool idea...WOWZA! And, you look smokin in the pink shirt. I want one.....

momma said...

i love this idea (i found you site thru "live life simply" - i went to school with leah) and i love the pink t-shirt!!!

Denise said...

Nikki Brewer Hogsed! What are we gonna do with you????? This idea is too cool for school!

You are such a good mommy. You know what I think? You need another little one around to do all these fun things with!

Denise said...

Also, love the ringer T!

Donna said...

Nikki! I am definitely making these with Caroline. HOW CUTE!

I'm laughing at Adam's smile. That's hilarious:)

Donna said...

oh, yeah....one more quesiton.

HOw did you get the crayon wrappers to print?

Nikki said...

Donna - go to the link I posted
She has a file you can download. You just print her document and then cut them out. EASY!

Jennifer said...

I just don't know that I can continue looking at your blog...I FEEL LIKE A BAD MOM!!! Those crayons are so cute and seriously look real in the pencil box. How did you do the whole printing thing? See, I would look at that project and see that it had more than 3 steps and would immediately put it out of my mind. Oh, the guilt... :)

jday said...

Very cute! Another great little treat I can do for Cade's class/teachers! Thanks!

I like your pink shirt better than my pink shirt!!

And I LOVE the new smile- it's a total boy thing!

Dolly said...

Jennifer, I'm JUST LIKE YOU....I thought this idea was so cute and then I saw all the steps and thought, Ahhhh, forget it. But then I saw the finished product and it's so cute! It would take me FOREVER to do these. Very cute Nikki!

I love Adam's smile too. Hilarious that he rolls up his top lip.

And I LOVE your t-shirt too! I need to get some Palin/McCain stuff.

Tonya said...

Nikki, Nikki, Nikki...you should start a business! Oh, thats right you did! Can I pay you to throw my kid a birthday party or something? Too cute, too cute! I will be doing these!