Thursday, September 24, 2009

Like Watching TV In My Mind

Adam has always loved to read. (he does not get it from me...I am borderline illiterate, unless it is an In Touch or People magazine) He recently checked out some books at the school library and has fallen in love with them. He told Mark the other day that when he reads them "Its like watching TV in my mind". The past 2 mornings I have found him waking himself up extra early in the morning to read his new books (instead of his usual morning ritual of spongebob and sports center before school) And what book series could have possibly captivated his mind and given him this new found passion for reading...
Captain Underpants!!!
Now, I have not personally read these books. But I can only imagine the inappropriate content in them that I am sure is every 7 year olds dream. I should probably not be letting him read them for some reason or another, but I will just chalk it up to one more thing I swore I would never let my children do, before I actually had kids.
Lets review some of the other things on that list:
1. Before kids - "My children will never wear those tacky character shirts and shoes they sell at Wal Mart "(and such places)...After kids - My children's wardrobes consist of mostly cheap, tacky character shirts and even the plasticy character shoes from Payless, oh those are the best!
2. Before kids - "My children will eat whatever is served for dinner. They will not be picky eaters. I will not give them choices"...After kids - I find myself making easy mac for Adam every night while Mark and I eat a nice healthy meal. Although we are working to correct this one.
3. Before kids - "I will not take my kids into a restaurant or other such public places and let them be loud, cry or disturb other people who don't have children and are trying to enjoy their meal"...After kids - HA! This happens all the time.
Soooo many more, but I will stop here.

Photobucket

4 comments:

B said...

Hey! I am starting one of those lists myself! But part of me hopes that Julie never picks up one of those books!

Momofgirls said...

Hahahahaha!! Love the list...and relate to the list fo sho!!

How about eating dinner on a TV tray in front of THE TV...that is where Lindsay is RIGHT NOW!! (Scott and Shae are at her v ball game or I would never get away with this one...but I don't have to clean up the table tonight!)

Dolly said...

This is a good post. I have thoughts in my head about what I won't let my child/children do too but I'm sure they will change down the road.

That's so funny that Adam gets up extra early to read his books. You're training him well, Nikki. Soon enough he'll be getting up extra early to read his Bible! hee hee!

Jennifer said...

Again, that Adam is so funny! I've got to meet this kid. Maybe he's got a thing for people/things in underpants...just a thought.

Listen, I continue to say that I was a much better parent BEFORE I had kids. I'm guilty of all of those...especially the first one. I think half of Max's wardrobe is from Walmart and a lot are Star Wars and Transformers shirts. Oh, and they actually have good shorts and t-shirts that are cheap. With boys does it really matter though? More money to spend on me and Lane!